1. Tobias M & Jackson G. Avoidable mortality in New Zealand, 1981–97. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health. 2001; 25:12–20.
2. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. National Healthcare Agreement: PI 16 – Potentially avoidable deaths [Internet] [cited 2013 Dec 4]. Available from: meteor.aihw.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/497242External link, opens in a new window.
3. Nolte E, McKee CM, 2004, Does Health Care Save Lives? Avoidable Mortality Revisited, Nuffield Trust, London [Internet] [cited 2013 Aug 13]. Available from: www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/sites/files/nuffield/publication/does-healthcare-save-lives-mar04.pdfExternal link, opens in a new window.
4. Gay, JG, Paris V et al. 2011. Mortality Amenable to Health Care in 31 OECD Countries. Estimates and Methodological Issues. OECD Health Working Papers, No 55 [Internet] [cited 2013 Aug 13]. Available from: www.oecd-ilibrary.org/content/workingpaper/5kgj35f9f8s2-enExternal link, opens in a new window.
5. Kochanek KD, Xu J, Murphy SL, Minimo AM, Kung HC. 2011. Deaths: Final Data for 2009. [Internet] [cited 2013 Dec 4]. Available from: www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr60/nvsr60_03.pdfExternal link, opens in a new window.
6. Nolte E, McKee CM. In Amenable Mortality – Deaths Avoidable Through Health Care. Health Affairs 2012; 31:2114–2122
7. Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). Life Tables, States, Territories and Australia, 2009–2011 [Internet] [cited 2013 Aug 30]. ABS 2012 cat.no 3302.0.55.001. Available from: www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Lookup/3302.0.55.001Explanatory%20Notes12009-2011?OpenDocumentExternal link, opens in a new window.