About the peer groups
To enable fairer comparisons, the Authority allocated each Medicare Local catchment to one of seven peer groups, based on socioeconomic status, remoteness and distance to hospitals.
- Metro 1: High urban density, higher socioeconomic status
- Metro 2: Medium urban density, medium socioeconomic status
- Metro 3: Low urban density, lower socioeconomic status
- Regional 1: Outer urban areas, middle socioeconomic status
- Regional 2: Mostly non-metro urban and regional areas, middle socioeconomic status
- Rural 1: Distance from metro cities, with diverse socioeconomic status
- Rural 2: Mostly large remote areas, middle or lower socioeconomic status.
To find more information about peer groups, see Healthy Communities: GP care for patients with chronic conditions in 2009–2013, Technical Supplement.